/* Variable definitions

Tasty Side to Life Tours Website

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Richard Avedon- A photographic genius




















If you're in the artsy, culturally diverse, cosmopolitan city of San Francisco anytime between now and Thanksgiving, you really must stop by the MOMA and let your senses indulge in the creative genius of one of the ten greatest photographers in the world, Richard Avedon.


Ever feel like you're having one of the those weeks where you are just kinda off? You go about your day to day routine yet absolutely nothing is doing it for you? Not Chocolate, nor natural fro-yo, or pilates are knocking you out of your mood? You just can't seem to be satisfied no matter what you do? I, unfortunately, have defini
tely been having one of those slumps for the past 2 weeks. My poor little 2.5 year old English Springer Spaniel who is the sweetest, cutest, smartest little guy is dying of Acute Leukemia and there is nothing that we can do. I'm 90% sure most dog owners say that their dog is the best dog in the world but I'm 100% sure this guy really is. If you have met him, please vouch for me! I'm even willing to take a survey. People stop us on the street to tell us how sweet and beautiful he is and he was just recently certified as a therapy dog because he naturally has the ability to help people. Anyways, after spending $100s on acupuncture and herbal remedies he is still kicking and I feel lucky for every last day I get with him. The doctors gave him a few weeks so we will see... I also HATE cancer and have never hated anything more.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I am finally partly out of my depression cloud and enjoying every second of ball playing with my little furry friend and I have this exhibit, which I stumbled on today, to thank for it. If you're feeling uninspired
or feel like you haven't had any art in your life recently please scurry on down to MOMA in SF. If you are smart and also maybe feeling the effects of the recession go the first Tues of any month b/c its free or any Thrs night for a little inexpensive date night.

Richard Avedon died of Cancer a few years ago and he, just like my little Hudson, got infected by a horrible disease. His passion for photography reminds me of my craze for food. Check out this quote:










"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon.


I feel similarly to him in regards to food. If I'm not experimenting amazing food or creating artistry through culinary creations then I feel like I haven't woken up, my passion for the day simply isn't the same without a little touch of cuisine.

MOMA-Richard Avedon-July 11 - November 29, 2009

"Whether photographing politicians, artists, writers, fashion models, or movie stars, Richard Avedon revolutionized the genre of portraiture. He rejected conventional stiff-and-staid poses and instead captured both motion and emotion in the faces of his subjects, often encapsulating their intrigue in a single charged moment. "- SF Moma.

I really have never seen so much movement in fashion photography.

The way that the femme with the umbrella floats over the curb in the picture "Homage to Munkacsi" from the 1950's is absolutely amazing. I'm not quite sure how he captured this moment or how he came up with the idea of having models roller skate while being shot, but I love his insight and wish I had his talent. Also, his portraits, set against plain white backgrounds display how multifaceted of a photographer he is. Mr. Avedon found characters who perfectly displayed American life. From drifters to farm boys to artists and models he captured breathtaking features in the human face. The drifter covered in freckles most likely from years and years of homelessness and sun exposure is one of the most captivating, dramatic and vivid portraits I have ever seen. So is Avedon's young snake skinner and beekeeper. You really must experience first hand the ability of Richard Avedon to capture the "intrigue and charged moment" of his subjects.

"SFMOMA is proud to be the only U.S. venue for this retrospective that spans the artist's remarkable career. Featuring more than 200 photographs along with a selection of vintage magazines, the exhibition presents work spanning Avedon's entire career, from his earliest street scenes to his breakthrough 1950s Paris fashion pictures and the iconic celebrity portraits that brought him world renown. This in-depth retrospective reveals Avedon's singular ability to blur the lines between photojournalism, fashion photography, and fine art."- SFMOMA.

Go check it out if you can!!! Another part of the exhibit is 2 other fabulous artists, Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams which you of course should see as well. I know you might feel like you have seen both of these artists work everywhere but the the exhibit really proved me wrong.
- http://www.sfmoma.org/exhibitions/384
http://www.richardavedon.com/

2 comments:

  1. i have a springer spaniel. naaaaw their the greatest dogs, full of energy and soooooo caring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I love them! They are the best and really the sweetest dogs. I live in France now and surprisingly never see them here. My mom and brother just bought 2 puppies and Im dying to have one in France! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...